Field Study Fundamentals, Masterclass
- October 7 - 9 US & Canada time - Online via Zoom
Field research operates with a single goal: To better understand the world.
While ethnographic data, quantitative data, and analytics provide insights into what people do and how, only well run ethnographic research can reveal why people behave as they do. Understanding why is fundamental to have an impact on product, design, brand, strategy, policy and communications.
At Studio D, we believe a project and organization is only as good as the data it ingests. Our approach to field research advances the craft in several ways: from how we build and interact with local teams, to structuring live/work spaces that are optimised for teams, to embracing the ethical issues at the front lines of data collection.
- Setting Up For Success
- Building Effective International Teams
- Fieldwork Dynamics
MODULE 1: SETTING UP FOR SUCCESS
This module introduces Studio D’s approach to running exemplary international field study projects to inspire and inform teams and organisations.
- Logistics and planning
- Risk assessment
- Priming the team for field work travel
- Effective cross-cultural team dynamics
- Identifying and mitigating cultural and cognitive biases
- The evolution of understanding from hypothesis to impact
- Recruiting strategies
- Remote sensing
MODULE 2: BUILDING EFFECTIVE INTERNATIONAL TEAMS
Studio D builds teams on a per-project basis, bringing together international professionals working alongside local researchers, fixers and guides. We understand that project deliverables are only as strong as the relationship with the local team.
This module shares the Studio D approach to rapidly building out trusted local teams.
- Understand team attributes, identify gaps
- Finding the best local researchers, translators, fixers and guides
- Screening and onboarding suitable candidates
- Building and maintaining trust
- In-person and remotely run research
- Tips for long term successful relationships
MODULE 3: FIELDWORK DYNAMICS
How to ensure your team can hit the ground running wherever in the world they are tasked with running research? How to bring the best out of your international and local team members on fast paced and challenging projects?BENEFITS
- Setting up and running popup studios
- Working with cross-cultural teams
- Rapid calibration techniques
- Ensuring the optimal mix of data
- Maintaining data integrity
- Managing clients and the organisation
- Team and client psychology
ONLINE MASTERCLASS FORMAT
The masterclass will be delivered via Zoom video conferencing with hands-on break out activities—as well as allocated time for conversations drawing on collective wisdom of the participants.
WHO IS THIS FOR?
The workshop is for anyone creating products and services for an international audience, including: designers, researchers, insights and innovation teams, in agencies, in-house, local and central government.
ABOUT YOUR HOST
The Field Study Fundamentals Masterclass is lead by Jan Chipchase, the founder of Studio D and the author of The Field Study Handbook. He has applied research to product, strategy, brand and communications for twenty years.
Studio D provides discreet research, design and strategy projects for commercial clients with a global remit. He previously founded and built the global research operations practice at frog design, across eight global studios, and started his career in Nokia, where he became Principal Scientist in the Tokyo Research Laboratory.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.
- Use left/right arrows to navigate the slideshow or swipe left/right if using a mobile device